Registered Independent Student Organizations (RISO)
What is a RISO?
A RISO is defined as: any group of six or more students currently enrolled at UH Hilo wishing to pursue a common educational, civic, social, cultural or recreational interest may become a RISO by completing the registration application and submitting the required documents.
The University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo welcomes a variety of different registered independent student organizations. We have great diversity at our campus, as such we have a variety of different RISOs with different interests and goals. We invite you to take a moment to browse the different clubs and find others with similar interests.
How do I start a RISO?
Any student interested in forming or registering a RISO should:
- Read the full text of the RISO Handbook and complete the annual RISO registration forms.
- First time RISOs need to write a Constitution and By-Laws. If assistance is needed to write or revise a constitution, contact us.
- Return the completed RISO form to Campus Center room 312.
- After the registration has been approved, the RISO’s president and advisor will receive confirmation. If there are any questions, your group will be contacted on what needs to be done to complete the registration process.
- For final approval, the RISO President and Advisor must attend an Orientation training.
RISO registration 2015-2016 Forms & Handbook
- 2015-2016 SY RISO Registration Packet - 2015-2016 ACADEMIC SCHOOL YEAR REGISTRATION FORM.
- 2015-2016 SY RISO Handbook - Coming Soon
What can I do to get funding for my club?
We encourage students to get involved with the local community by means of fundraising, and requesting support from local businesses. Requests for help with event planning and funding can also be submitted to different campus student organizations. On campus fundraising can be easy if done right! There are many different ways of fundraising.
- CSO Universal Funding Application **Being updated for 2015-2016 school year
- RISO Funding Information Sheet
- RISO Orientation Information Sheet
WEEK OF WELCOME - Reserve your spot now! - August 24th - August 28th - 10am - 2pm - Campus Center Plaza
We hope you are having a great summer. Please mark your calendar down for our upcoming R.I.S.O. trainings being offered. If you are planning to register a club or organization for the 2015-2016 school year, Presidents must attend one of the orientation dates. If you might be requesting CSO funding, Presidents & Treasurers will need to attend the funding workshop too. **CSO FUNDING PACKETS will be updated this coming school year. Please delete old copies of the packet. Also there will be multiple packets for RISO's vs. Department/Program. Please stay tuned for updates.
We've moved for the summer into CC 301.