- Announcement: Public meeting to discuss higher education in West Hawai‘i
Participants will have the opportunity to discuss and share their vision for Hawai‘i Community College – Pālamanui.
- Together we can increase access to higher education
BY CHANCELLOR DON STRANEY: UH Hilo needs to offer many opportunities for students to access scholarships to ensure that every young person on our island has access to higher education. To achieve that, we need the community’s help.
- Announcement: Joey Estrella named interim athletic director
Coach Estrella, who headed the Vulcan baseball program he founded for 37 years, brings extensive experience to the position.
- Announcement: Chancellor invites UH Hilo community to submit ideas on enrollment
A Message from the Chancellor : Campuses around the country are facing an enrollment challenge on how to recruit, retain, and graduate more students. I’m inviting you to share your ideas on how UH Hilo can do a better job on all three.
- Announcement: Reminder, last week of Hawai’i Island United Way campaign
You still have time to put in your pledge by Oct. 31.
- Everyone has a role in growing enrollment at UH Hilo
BY CHANCELLOR DON STRANEY: We know that students are more likely to come to UH Hilo, persist in their studies, and then graduate if they make strong connections to people on campus.
- UH Foundation kicks off UH Hilo calling campaign; Chancellor visits with students at calling center
Chancellor Straney shared the news about the Office of the Governor releasing $33 million for the construction of the new facilities for UH Hilo College of Pharmacy.
- Announcement: Jennifer Stotter named director of UH Hilo Office of EEO/AA
Dr. Stotter comes well qualified to support UH Hilo in the area of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action.
- Waivers made available for business writing workshop
The Chancellor’s Professional Development Fund is funding ten tuition waivers for UH Hilo faculty and staff.
- Governor’s Office releases $33M to build permanent facilities for UH Hilo College of Pharmacy
In the new building, the first floor will have areas for student services and activities and the second floor will have research laboratories.
- Wahi Pana O Hilo: Group from UH Hilo and Hawai‘i Community College enjoy day-long educational tour of Hilo
Group of administrators, faculty, staff, students and their guests are immersed in Hilo environments, shown the significance of wahi pana, and encouraged to contribute to the well-being of the Hilo community through service activity.
- Helping our campuses and Puna community prepare for lava flow
BY CHANCELLOR DON STRANEY. No other campuses in the country have to deal with the range of unmanageable natural challenges that we do here on our island, and I’m proud that we can.
- UH response to Puna lava flow, updated Dec. 17
Updates on the UH response to the lava flow from UH Hilo Chancellor Don Straney and Hawaiʻi Community College Chancellor Noreen Yamane.
- UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC faculty and staff are invited to an educational tour of Hilo
Wahi Pana O Hilo is a cross-campus event with UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College, offering a wonderful opportunity to strengthen ties between the two.
- UH Hilo Chancellor’s Office launches new website on UH Hilo Stories
The site is dedicated to sharing stories about the activities of the university ‘ohana. It also has a commentary section, where university scholars and faculty experts share their opinions on topical issues.
- Sept. 16 Message from Chancellor Donald Straney and Chancellor Noreen Yamane on the Puna lava flow
The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo and Hawai‘i Community College are closely monitoring the June 27th lava flow from Kilauea and are currently formulating contingency plans to address various issues that may arise.