UH Hilo faculty who have received tenure and/or promotion this year were honored at the 2014 Fall Welcome event held on campus this week.
New faculty were welcomed to UH Hilo at the 2014 Fall Welcome event held yesterday on campus. Learn more about the new faculty members, listed here with their bios.
- Message from the Chancellors of UH Hilo and Hawai‘i Community College on the Puna lava flow, UPDATED SEPT. 25
UH Hilo and Hawai‘i CC have set up an online resource: UH for Puna Classifieds, for the UH community to help each other with housing wanted, housing for rent, and ride-sharing. Please use this resource if you need assistance or if you can kōkua with an extra room or lodging for our ‘ohana. Additionally, students without dependents or non-service animals may apply for temporary accommodations in on-campus residence halls.
- UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC faculty and staff are invited to an educational tour of Hilo
Wahi Pana O Hilo is a cross-campus event with UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College, offering a wonderful opportunity to strengthen ties between the two.
- UH Hilo Chancellor’s Office launches new website on UH Hilo Stories
The site is dedicated to sharing stories about the activities of the university ‘ohana. It also has a commentary section, where university scholars and faculty experts share their opinions on topical issues.
- Sept. 16 Message from Chancellor Donald Straney and Chancellor Noreen Yamane on the Puna lava flow
The University of Hawai‘i at Hilo and Hawai‘i Community College are closely monitoring the June 27th lava flow from Kilauea and are currently formulating contingency plans to address various issues that may arise.
Chancellor's Remarks & Writings
- Column by the Chancellor in Hawai‘i Island Chamber of Commerce Newsletter: Sept 2014
UH Hilo staff create a safe learning environment during Iselle.
- Column by the Chancellor in Hawai‘i Island Chamber of Commerce Newsletter: August 2014
Hawaii Island is on the map as a world leader in environmental conservation. The conservation work UH Hilo students and faculty are doing on Hawai‘i Island is having an impact on conservation statewide.
- Column by the Chancellor in Hawai‘i Island Chamber of Commerce Newsletter: July 2014
New Summer Bridge Program prepares STEM students for freshman year.
- Column by the Chancellor in Hawai‘i Island Chamber of Commerce Newsletter: June 2014
Highlights from UH Hilo’s 2013-2014 academic year
- UH Hilo ranked most diverse four-year public campus in the country
University of Hawaiʻi campuses took the top spots in the Chronicle of Higher Education’s 2014 list of the most diverse campuses in the United States. UH HIlo ranked #1 among 4-year public campuses in the nation.
- Funding of permanent building helps UH Hilo College of Pharmacy receive extended accreditation
The American Council for Pharmacy Education has now found the College of Pharmacy compliant with all of the 30 standards that it uses to evaluate colleges of pharmacy.
- Governor holds historic bill signing in Hilo; after school program to be administered by UH Hilo among enacted measures
Governor approves $200,000 to UH Hilo to run an after school program that helps underprivileged children of Hawaiian ancestry with life skills, achieving academic success, and career planning.
- New Summer Bridge Program prepares STEM students for freshman year
Program participants are enrolled in college-level English and Math courses, earning college credit through a rigorous schedule of study for six weeks.