Crime Statistics Glossary
Murder: Willful (non-negligent) killing of one human being by another.
- Non-negligent: Willful killing (deaths caused by negligence; attempts to kill, assaults to kill, suicides, accidental deaths, justifiable homicides are excluded).
- Negligent: Killing through gross negligence (traffic fatalities are excluded).
- Forcible: Any sexual act directed against another person, forcibly and/or against that person's will; or not forcibly or against the person's will where the victim is incapable of giving consent because of his/her temporary or permanent mental or physical incapacity or because of his/her youth.
- Forcible Rape: Carnal knowledge of a person.
- Forcible Sodomy: Oral or anal sexual intercourse with another person.
- Sexual Assault with an Object: Use of an object or instrument to unlawfully penetrate, however slightly, the genital or anal opening of the body of another person.
- Forcible Fondling: Touching of the private body parts of another person for the purpose of sexual gratification.
- Non-Forcible: Unlawful, non-forcible sexual intercourse.
- Incest: Sexual intercourse between persons who are related to each other within the degrees where marriage is prohibited by law.
- Statutory Rape: Sexual intercourse with a person who is under the statutory age of consent.
Arson: Willful or malicious burning or attempt to burn, with or without intent to defraud, a dwelling, house, public building, motor vehicle or aircraft, personal property of another, etc.
Robbery: Taking or attempting to take anything of value from the care, custody, or control of a person or persons by force or threat of force or violence and/or putting the victim in fear.
Aggravated Assault: Unlawful attack by one person upon another for the purpose of inflicting severe or aggravated bodily injury -- usually accompanied by use of a weapon or by means likely to produce death or great bodily harm (it is not necessary that injury result from an aggravated assault when a gun, knife, or other weapon is used).
Burglary: Unlawful entry of a structure to commit a felony or theft. Includes: unlawful entry or breaking and entering with intent to commit a larceny or felony; house-breaking; safecracking; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.
Motor Vehicle Theft: Theft or attempted theft of a motor vehicle -- not including mopeds.
Liquor Law Violation: Violation of laws or ordinances prohibiting: manufacture, sale, transporting, furnishing, possessing of intoxicating liquor; maintaining unlawful drinking places; bootlegging; operating a still; furnishing liquor to a minor or intemperate person; using a vehicle for illegal transportation of liquor; drinking on a train or public conveyance; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned (drunkenness and driving under the influence are not included in this definition).
Drug-Related Violation: Violations of State and local laws relating to the unlawful possession, sale, use, growing, manufacturing and making of narcotic drugs. Relevant substances include: opium or cocaine and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, codeine); marijuana; synthetic narcotics (Demerol, methadone); and dangerous non-narcotic drugs (barbiturate, Benzedrine).
Weapons Possession: Violation of laws or ordinances dealing with weapon offenses, regulatory in nature, such as: manufacture, sale, or possession of deadly weapons; carrying deadly weapons, concealed or openly; furnishing deadly weapons to minors; aliens possessing deadly weapons; and all attempts to commit any of the aforementioned.