Carpool Parking Memo
UH Hilo, like all other major operations, is concerned about environmental practices. The new Student Life Center is designed for energy efficiency, and daily operations must also follow new federal guidelines. One of those guidelines require the addition of a carpool provision within UH Hilo’s existing parking policy. (Carpooling uses less gas and less parking stalls.)
Simply put, 16 stalls around campus will be designated for Carpool use only. The procedures are:
- Stalls will be designated for Carpool parking on UH Hilo’s Main Campus in desirable locations.
- Carpool stalls will be marked with signs.
- Vehicles with 2 or more occupants qualify for a daily Carpool parking pass available where ever University parking permits/passes are sold.
- University parking permit/pass is also required during hours of enforcement.
- Vehicles with a valid daily carpool parking pass can park in designated Carpool stalls. If Carpool stalls are full, vehicles must park in lots where their permit is valid.
There are 1655 total parking stalls on the Main Campus of which 27 Handicap stalls are needed to comply with the federal guidelines. UH Hilo currently has 56 Handicap stalls, so 14 stalls that are underutilized stalls will be converted to Carpool stalls.
The daily parking needs of the disabled will continue to be met, and the carpool parking stalls will allow more people to park on campus while consuming less gas. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Kolin Kettleson, or call 974-7369 by March 10, 2008.
Tentative implementation is scheduled for the first day of class after Spring Break, March 31, 2008.