“Don’t let finances keep you from pursuing your goals. There are ways to make things happen if you are willing to put the work into it. You never know until you try.”
- Wainohia Lum-Ho,
2011 Scholarship Recipient
UH Hilo Alumni and Friends Association
Scholarship Fact Sheet
The Alumni and Friends Association at UH Hilo offers scholarship funds for those intending to pursue an undergraduate degree program or a graduate degree program at UH Hilo.
The successful scholarship applicant shall receive $1,000 to $2,000 for a period of one year to be applied toward college expenses at UH Hilo. However, the selection committee based on the availability of funds shall determine the number and amount of awards.
Interested applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Applicant for undergraduate studies at UH Hilo (Full time or Part
- Applicant must be an immediate family member of a UH Hilo graduate (i.e. father, mother, brother, sister, husband, children).
- Academic merit as demonstrated by a minimum of 2.5 cumulative GPA.
- Applicant for graduate studies at UH Hilo (Full time or Part time):
- Applicant must have received a baccalaureate degree from UH Hilo.
- Academic merit as demonstrated by a minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA.
- Should possess good communication skills as well as some degree of leadership abilities.
- Short listed candidates will be called for interviews with the alumni scholarship committee before final selection is made. Failure to attend interview will constitute disqualification of application.
Applicants need to submit the following to the Financial Aid office at UH Hilo by March 2, 2015:
- Scholarship opportunities. Apply now.
- Letter stating reasons for scholarship application
- High school or university transcripts
- 2 letters of recommendation
Scholarship recipients are expected to fulfill the following:
- Attend alumni scholarship fundraising events to make brief presentations thanking supporters/contributors.
- Provide assistance, as needed at alumni scholarship fundraising events.
- Provide assistance in other areas as deemed necessary by the UH Hilo Alumni and Friends Association board.