MSL 101 Introduction to Military Science (Leadership & Personal Development)
MSL 101 introduces Cadets to the personal challenges and competencies that are critical for effective leadership. Cadets learn how the personal development of life skills such as critical thinking, goal setting, time management, physical fitness, and stress management relate to leadership, officership, and the Army profession. The focus is on developing basic knowledge and comprehension of Army leader attributes and core leader competencies while gaining a big-picture understanding of ROTC, its purpose in the Army, and its advantages for the student. Cadets must meet the following objectives for MSL 101:
- Describe the relationship between leader character and competence
- Identify the leader attributes and core leader competencies of the Army Leadership Requirements Model.
- Define standards for the Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)
- Write short-term and long-term goals to prepare for APFT
- Define tht basic elements of time and stress management.
Values and Ethics
- Explain the Warrior Ethos
- List and define the seven Army Values.
- Explain the importance of being a model citizen as an Army officer
- React to passing colors, national music, and approaching officers.
Tactics and Techniques
- Find on-campus locations by reading a campus map.