NHERC UH Hilo College Credit Courses
NHERC offers UH Hilo credit courses for undergraduate students who are both classified and unclassified students. Hawai'i Community College students, high school juniors and seniors, and community members are also welcome to take NHERC credit courses. All NHERC courses are regular UH Hilo courses that are offered off-site in Honokaʻa or Waimea.
Applying for UH Hilo Credit Courses - College in Honokaʻa
Students interested in becoming a regular UH Hilo college student in Honoka'a should apply through the regular UH Hilo admissions process- please refer to the Admissions website and follow the instructions to apply. The application deadline for students who wish to be classified for the Spring 2014 semester is December 2, 2013.
Hawaiʻi Community College students and community members who would like to enroll in classes must fill out and submit a UH Hilo application to become an unclassified student. High school students wishing to enroll in courses should check out our Running Start webpage.
Registering for NHERC College Credit Courses
All students register for NHERC courses through their MyUH account, but must first contact NHERC to be coded as a North Hawaiʻi student. Once a student has been coded, they will be able to register for NHERC courses in future semesters without contacting NHERC.
Hawaiʻi Community College students and community members can register for NHERC classes but must be coded after their unclassified application has been processed by Admissions.
To become coded as a North Hawaiʻi student and register for our courses for the first time, please call NHERC directly at (808) 775-8890 or e-mail email@example.com.
Fall 2013 College Credit Classes
- Communications 270 - Introducation to theories of Human communication. Video conference course. Fulfills 3 UH Hilo Humanities credit requirements. Intructor: Dr. Randy Hirokawa. Tuesdays and Thursdays 3:30 - 4:45 pm CRN: 13959
- Geology 100 - Environmental Earth Science for non-science majors. Fulfills 3 UH Hilo Natural Science credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Graham Knopp. Mondays and Wednesdays 2:30 - 3:45 pm. CRN: 13927
- History 151 - World History: To 1500. Fulfills 3 UH Hilo World Cultures credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Michael Bitter. Thursdays 5:00 - 7:30 pm. CRN: 13926
- Math 100 - Survey of Mathematics. Fulfills 3 UH Hilo Quantitative Reasoning credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Rachel Baker. Mondays and Wednesdays 5:00 - 6:15 pm. CRN: 13928
Spring 2014 College Credit Classes
- Art 109 - Introduction to Drawing and Painting. Studio experiences on formal concepts in drawing and painting. Fulfills 3 UHH Humanities credit requirments. Instructor: Keith Tallett. Mondays & Wednesdasy 5:30 - 6:45pm @ Kanu o Ka Aina in Waimea CRN 15257
- Astronomy 110 - General Astronomy. Modern Astronomy for non-science majors. Fulfills 3 UHH Natural Science credit requirements. Instructor: TBA. Days & Times TBA in Honoka`a CRN 15258
- Computer Science 200 - Web Technology 1. Creation of client-side web pages using web authoring language and style sheets. Fulfills 3 UHH Language Arts credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Keith Edwards. Mondays & Wednesdays 5:30 - 6:45pm in Honoka`a CRN 15259
- English 289 - Rhetoric of Food. Why food plays a centeral role in cultures around the world. Fulfills 3 UHH World Cultures credit requirements. Instructor: Liam Conway-Nesson. Tuesdays & Thursdays 2:30 - 3:45pm in Honoka`a CRN 15260
- History 274 - History of Hawaii. History of the Hawaiian Islands from Polynesian origins to contemporary multi-cultural society. Fulfills 3 UHH Social Science and Hawaiian Perspective credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Kerri Inglis ONLINE CRN 15261
- Marine Science 171 and Lab 171L - Marine Biology & Lab. The study of marine organisms and adaptation to the marine environment. Fulfills 4 UHH Natual Science and lab credit requirements. Instructor: Dr. Karla McDermid. Mondays & Wednesdays 2:30-5:30 in Honoka`a CRN 14190 & 14192
For a complete listing of Fall 2013 classes and their availability go toFall 2013 class availability, Spring 2014 class availability go to Spring 2014 class availability. For the complete course descriptions please go the UH Hilo Course Catalog
Paying for UH Hilo NHERC College Credit Classes
All courses offered at NHERC are regular UH Hilo courses. Tuition and financial aid remain the same as the main UH Hilo campus. Students must pay for their tuition and fees through their MyUH portal.
For more information about paying for college at UH Hilo, including tuition costs and financial aid opportunities, please visit the Financial Aid webpage.
Students not receiving aid from any other source may be eligible for an NHERC scholarship. Please visit our NHERC Scholarships page for details. Also check out our Scholarship Database for links to outside scholarship opportunities.
Annual Security Report Availability
The University of Hawaii at Hilo's (UH Hilo) Annual Campus Security Report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning reported crimes that occurred on-campus, in certain off-campus buildings, property owned or controlled by the University of Hawaii at Hilo, and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report by contact UH Hilo Campus Security, (808) 974-7911, located in Room 104 of the Auxilary Services Building, or by visiting the Annual Security Report website.