The NHERC Heritage Center is located at NHERC and is open to the public!
Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
Saturdays - 9:00 A.M.-1:00 P.M.
The Heritage Center offers the following resources & services:
- Archive and Resource Center for Hamakua and North Hawai'i History
- Changing Exhibit Gallery on Area History
- Research family ancestry
- Talk story with Donnie DeSilva 9-11 on Tuesday mornings
- Paid University Internships
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Coming Soon: Permanent Exhibit Gallery Showcasing Area History
We are excited to announce our new exhibit in the NHERC Heritage Center's Changing Gallery: Na Paniolo o Hamakua. The exhibit highlights and celebrates the cowboys and ranches of Hamakua.
Click on the poster belowto view the opening slideshow
NHERC Heritage Center is the home of:
Click on the photo to view a gallery of each collection
* The digitized Paul Christensen photo collection
*The Okada Collection
*Plantation Era Artifacts, Historical Documents and Maps
* Reference Library of Local and Hawai'i History
* Growing Collection of Local Family Photos and Genealogy
Doris Alegre Teller finds a baby photo of herself in the Alegre Family collection
*Changing Exhibit Gallery on Area History
Click on the links below to view a slideshow of each exhibit
Woman finds a picture of herself in Waipi'o from the 1970's in "Peace Corps and Our Community" Exhibit