The NHERC Heritage Center is located at NHERC and is open to the public!
Monday - Friday 8:00 A.M.-4:00 P.M.
Saturdays - 9:00 A.M.-1:00 P.M.
The Heritage Center offers the following resources & services:
- Archive and Resource Center for Hāmākua and North Hawai'i History
- Changing Exhibit Gallery on Area History
- Research family ancestry
- Talk story with Donnie DeSilva 9-11 on Tuesday mornings
- Paid University Internships
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Coming Soon: Permanent Exhibit Gallery Showcasing Area History
We are excited to announce our new exhibit in the NHERC Heritage Center's Changing Gallery: Na Paniolo o Hāmākua. The exhibit highlights and celebrates the cowboys and ranches of Hāmākua .
NHERC's Heritage Center, with support from the County of Hawai'i's Department of Research and Development, is proud to sponsor the 2015 Hāmākua Sugar Plantation Days Festival. Please come and join us!
Click on the poster below to view the opening slideshow
NHERC Heritage Center is the home of:
Click on the photo to view a gallery of each collection
* The digitized Paul Christensen photo collection
*The Okada Collection
*Plantation Era Artifacts, Historical Documents and Maps
* Reference Library of Local and Hawai'i History
* Growing Collection of Local Family Photos and Genealogy
Doris Alegre Teller finds a baby photo of herself in the Alegre Family collection
*Changing Exhibit Gallery on Area History
Click on the links below to view a slideshow of each exhibit
Woman finds a picture of herself in Waipi'o from the 1970's in "Peace Corps and Our Community" Exhibit