UH Hilo Graduate Council Minutes, January 30, 2009
Dan Brown, Kathleen Stacey, Charles Langlas, Michael Shintaku, Jerry Calton, Kathryn Besio, Bryan Kim, Eric Im, Rich Biffle, Māhealani Jones, Edward Fisher, Jene Michaud, Don Price, Kerri Inglis
1. Minutes of 1/16/09 approved.
2. Discussion on use of IRB or IACUC for theses and dissertations.
Motion: to insert the use of IRB or IACUC language for theses and dissertations, with the modification to include “appropriate approval from other entities”
moved by Don Price, seconded by Michael Shintaku
3. Discussion of the transfer of credits during graduate tenure at UHH.
Motion: to delete the sentence in the catalog section on transfer of graduate credits that states: “Credits for courses in which the student received no letter grade cannot be transferred” and insert the following in the same section: “In cases where a graduate student wishes to take graduate coursework elsewhere for transfer credit during their tenure at UH Hilo, the course work must be pre-approved by the student’s primary academic advisor and graduate program chair. Petition for transfer of these credits must be completed within a semester of completion of the course work, and will otherwise be subject to the same regulations as credits petitioned for transfer from before the student’s acceptance to UH Hilo.”
moved by Charles Langlas, seconded by Rich Biffle
additional note: a new form will be need for the pre-approval now found in new language concerning transfer of credits
4. Discussion of criteria for certification of faculty for graduate training and instruction. Graduate Council has authority to “certify” non-UHH faculty for graduate programs, but not to determine “affiliate” status. Programs are to specify if certification application is for graduate teaching, to serve on graduate committees, or both.
Motion: to remove the word “considerably” from the statement “The details used to make the case may differ
considerably for different graduate programs” in the paragraph on qualifications and procedures for certification.
moved by Jene Michaud, seconded by Rich Biffle
Motion: to reword the review of certifications to: Certifications must be reviewed by individual programs every three years and upon completion programs must notify the graduate council of their updated rosters.
moved by Charles Langlas, seconded by Jene Michaud
5. Discussion of technical issues with access to GRE in Hilo. There are limited seats available (GRE, PRAXIS, LSAT) creating challenges for many programs (internal recruiting issues) and current students.
Motion: that graduate council waives the GRE admission requirement for Fall 2009 because of technical issues, leaving programs to decide deadlines for themselves and to notify the admissions department.
moved by Bryan Kim, seconded by Edward Fisher
6. Application for program modification of the CHUS Program.
Motion: to accept program modification for CHUS Program
moved by Michael Shintaku, seconded by Edward Fisher
7. Dan Brown asked that all email him regarding Curriculum Review Process draft proposal – whether to endorse it or not – by Wed, February 4, 2009.
Meeting adjourned ~1:15pm