Bachelor of Arts in Psychology
Message for Distance Students from the Chair of the Psychology Department (January 2013)
In response to the needs of our 300+ Psychology majors, the University of Hawai´i Hilo Psychology BA undergraduate program has made its online Psychology classes available to more students. We no longer offer a “DL-Program”. We no longer restrict our Psychology online classes to a limited number of students admitted to a “DL-Program” from a limited geographic area as was done in the past. Instead we now allow ALL students admitted to UH Hilo to enroll in our online Psychology classes in fulfillment of their Psychology BA degree requirements.
Any student admitted to UH Hilo may enroll in our Psychology online classes if they meet course prerequisites and if seats are available at the time of their registration. Students wishing to pursue a BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo by taking ONLY online Psychology classes are advised of the following:
- You should complete the UH Hilo general education requirements PRIOR to entry to UH Hilo. UH Hilo general education requirements may be fulfilled by completing an AA degree from a community college, or by completing specific general education Basic and Area course requirements.
- Once you have completed the UH Hilo general education requirements, you may apply for admission to UH Hilo and declare Psychology as your major. If you meet course prerequisites, you may be able to enroll in UH Hilo online courses, including those offered in Psychology and from other UH Hilo departments. Keep in mind that your registration time is based on your class standing (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) which may result in online classes being filled before your designated registration time.
- You may enroll in online classes from UH Manoa, UH West Oahu, and UH Maui College to complete: a) courses applicable to the UH Hilo Psychology major, b) upper division course credits (you need a total of 45 upper division credits - upper division PSY major courses will apply to this requirement), and c) additional credits to reach a total of 120 credits required for the BA degree. UH Hilo Financial Aid Office can give you information about being a multiple campus registrant and being eligible for UH Hilo aid.
- You will need a total of 30 UH Hilo Credits to earn a UH Hilo degree (so you must complete 30 credits from UH Hilo classes)
- You will need a minimum of 10 credits for the Psychology MAJOR (of the 41 credits required for the Psychology MAJOR) from UH Hilo.
- You will be assigned a Psychology faculty member as your advisor who you may consult with at any time regarding courses and degree completion.
- We have a large number of Psychology majors and very high demand for our online Psychology classes. As a result, there may be semesters when you are not able to enroll in a UH Hilo online Psychology class and must enroll instead in an online class from another UHH department or from another UH campus. However, keep in mind that you MUST be enrolled for at least ONE credit from UH Hilo to maintain your status as an active UH Hilo student.
Students pursuing their BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo solely through online courses DO NOT have enrollment priority in online courses. As a result, completing your Psychology BA degree through only online courses may be difficult. However, through a combination of online courses from UH Hilo and other UH campuses you may indeed be able to complete the degree requirements for a BA degree in Psychology from UH Hilo.
For more information about how you might be able to complete your BA degree in Psychology “from a distance” through online courses from UH Hilo please:
- Review the Psychology BA Degree Requirements
- Contact the UH Hilo Distance Learning Coordinator, Dr. Candace Wheeler, regarding admission to UH Hilo and enrollment “from a distance”.
- Contact Dr. Cheryl Ramos, Chair, Department of Psychology (ramos@hawaii) to discuss your academic history (e.g. courses already completed, progress toward completing UH Hilo general education requirements) and your interest in the Psychology BA degree from UH Hilo.
Mahalo for your interest in a BA degree in Psychology from the University of Hawai´i Hilo.
Dr. Cheryl M. Ramos, Chair
Department of Psychology
For information and support on transfer procedures, go to step-by step support.