Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
An integral component of the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo’s strategic plan, Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX's) engage students in real world situations requiring them to put into action the knowledge and skills they are developing through academic coursework. These experiences help students connect academic learning to the real world, enabling them to obtain and enhance the knowledge and skills required for employment, further education, and active participation in the local community. These can take on a variety of forms, including community based projects, service learning, research, internships, practica, creative activities, and capstone projects.
It is the mission of the Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX) to maximize the breadth and depth of applied learning opportunities for students at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo through numerous activities, which include, but are not restricted to:
- ALEXOnline: Launched in January, 2014, ALEXOnline is a web-based magazine that reports daily on real world learning experiences being offered to students at UH Hilo.
- Internship Fairs - Held each Fall and Spring semester. Credit Card Payment Form.
- Student Professional Events - To prepare students for internship fairs and the interviewing process. This includes resume writing and interviewing/career fair skills workshops.
- ALEX Faculty Workshops and Teaching Awards - To provide faculty with the knowledge and skills necessary to be more effective applied learning instructors and to acknowledge and reward their efforts.
- Student Research Conferences - Held each Fall and Spring semester, the ALEX Student Research Conference is UH Hilo's only multi-disciplinary research conference. It provides them with a forum to present research completed in classes and through independent directed study in front of their classmates, faculty, and judges, who provide them with invaluable feedback.
- ALEX Applied Learning Summit - Held each April, the summit highlights best practices in all forms of applied learning, including keynote presenters who are experts in their field and UH Hilo ALEX Teaching Award winners.
- ALEX Fellows - The ALEX Fellows are a group of practicing applied learning instructors who serve as mentors for aspiring faculty and share their experiences at the ALEX Applied Learning Summit, and in workshops.
Tom DeWitt, Ph.D.
Director - Office of Applied Learning Experiences (ALEX)
E 241 SSC
University of Hawai’i at Hilo