ALEX For Faculty
Course Release For Designing A Course That Features Applied Learning Experiences
Applications are presently being accepted for faculty course release time to develop applied learning experiences for an existing or prospective course. Applications will be evaluated based upon how well their proposal fits the criteria for what is considered an applied learning experience (hilo.hawaii.edu/ALEX) as well as the perceived ability of the proposed experience to actively engage students in the process, particularly as it applies to engagement with the community.
In exchange for receiving a course release or cash equivelant for a single semester, recipients are expected to provide the following:
- A syllabus for the course detaling the applied learning component.
- Lesson plans and descriptions of the applied learning exercises that will be implemented in the course.
- Participate in a workshop designed to help the recipient to better understand and integrate Hawaiian values into their courses.
In addition, the recipient will become an ALEX Fellow and as such, will be expected to:
- Host a web log during the semester in which the applied learning experiences are implemented detailing your efforts and those of your students, so that other faculty and prospective students can learn and benefit from your experiences.
- Deliver a presentation about your experiences in designing and delivering the proposed applied learning experiences following the completion of the course at the annual ALEX Applied Learning Summit or a similar faculty development event.
- Serve as a mentor in the future for another faculty member who endeavors to integrate applied learning into their instruction methods.
Once your course release has been approved, you will be paired with ALEX Fellow, likely an ALEX Teaching Award winner, who will help to support you during the course design process.
The deadline for applications is Sunday, March 10, 2013. Please submit the online application form.