Welcome to the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo
Puna Lava Flow and Phone Outage
Updated at: 8:14am HST, Wednesday, October 22
Due to a possible lightning strike on the UH Hilo Main Campus, many phones and a few faxes in a number of buildings are not working. Work is proceeding to address damage to the VOIP analog equipment and restore phone service to these buildings.
Message from the Chancellors on response to Puna lava flow
Here is the October 22 update on our response to the Puna lava flow from the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo and Hawaiʻi Community College. The text of our standing message is on the UH for Puna website, but here is the new information we want to share today.
Counseling: Counseling for UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC employees will be held on two days, two sessions each day, as follows:
- Thursday, October 23, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Student Services Building, Room E-214, UH Hilo Campus.
- Thursday, October 23, 2:30-3:30 p.m., Cafeteria, Hawaiʻi Community College Campus.
- Friday, October 24, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Business Education Building, Room 101 (above old bookstore), UH Hilo Campus.
- Friday, October 24, 1:00-2:00 p.m., Business Education Building, Room 101 (above old bookstore), UH Hilo Campus.
All UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC employees are welcome to attend any of the sessions, as is convenient for them. The informational session will cover expectations you may have pertaining to grief and traumatic loss, as well as some recommendations for survivors of traumatic events. This will include the impact on your personal, family, and work life. There also will be discussion about the signs and symptoms of stress, along with suggestions to ease the stress.
Student counseling: Information about counseling for UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC students is available on the Aʻoaʻo Pili Ola Counseling Services website.
We have posted several flyers about coping with stress and trauma on our UH for Puna website.
Meetings in Pāhoa: Representatives from UH Hilo and Hawaiʻi CC will continue to attend the weekly community meetings held in Puna about the lava flow. They will answer questions there from our faculty, staff and students who are experiencing direct impacts from the lava flow. The next lava flow community update meeting will be held with representatives from Hawaiʻi County Civil Defense and the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory on Thursday, October 23 at 6:30 p.m. at the Pāhoa High School Cafeteria.
- Men's Soccer: Dominican University
- Men's Soccer: Brigham Young University
- Men's Soccer Vs. Hawaii Pacific University
- Women's Soccer: Dominician University
- Women's Soccer: Brigham Young University
- Women's Soccer Vs. Hawaii Pacific University
- Women's Volleyball Vs. Holy Names University
- Women's Volleyball Vs. Notre Dame de Namur University
- Midterm Energy Boost, Mon, 10/27, 10am
A Student Activities Council (SAC) event. Students with a valid UH Hilo student ID can come and get a boost during midterms. SAC will be handing out e…
- Frisky Business Prevention Workshop, Mon, 10/27, 5:30pm
Never assume. Ask before you proceed. UH Hilo's Student Health & Wellness Programs will be hosting a Workshop covering the topics of sexual communicat…
- Annual Food Festival, Thu, 10/30, 11am
University Dining Services invites you to meet our local food vendors and enjoy a huge food sampling of new products! Lots of fun will be in store, a…
- Movie Screening: Tough Guise 2, Mon, 11/10, 5pm
In this highly anticipated update of the influential and widely acclaimed Tough Guise, pioneering anti-violence educator and cultural theorist Jackson…
- Conquering the Sun, Fri, 11/14, 7pm
Created by Jackie Pualani Johnson and fellow members of the Colorado Caravan at the University of Colorado in 1976 Directed by Kimo Apaka Maui’s…
- 19th Annual Make A Difference Day
Make A Difference Day is an annual event that takes place on Saturday October 25. For this event we will be focusing on projects on UH Hilo's campus…
- UH Hilo Student Association Tee Shirt Design Contest!
Enter for a chance to win an iPad mini or an iPod nano! If you are a UH Hilo student with a creative side, submit your own tee shirt design via email…
- Seeking Vendors for the 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa!
The 2015 Hoʻolauleʻa Committee is seeking vendors for our 20th annual event. The event is on Saturday, January 17, 2015 from 12:00pm to 8:00pm in the…
- More news and announcements…